Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Standby

Standby
5...4...3...2...1

I think I got that down to a science now as we jumped into shooting our new series called Job Hunt last week, in which host Tory Johnson discusses with various panelists different techniques of how to get a job in the low economy right now.

My responsibility on the shoots is to run the teleprompter and help the guests out as needed. Of course, I always wish I could write in fun things on the teleprompter such as: Libs is amazing.

The show is extremely helpful, especially to someone in my shoes, specifically because, soon, I will be searching for my own job. I have learned what to put and what not to put in my resumer, how long the resume should be, how to format the resume, and how to get it into the hands of the right people. I have also learned new networking sites such as LinkedIN, and I have also learned the best way to speak to someone via Skype or iChat for a job interview. All this information is necessary as the economy stays low and the job hunt for those unemployed or just leaving college increases.

Last week, I also had the chance to get to know a few my producers a bit more. I learned that one taught in Jamaica for a bit, and that another taught in Japan for three years. I also learned that one producer grew up in Mexico and also lived in Spain and Yugoslavia. All of their advice to me was to travel--and enjoy life--that's what your 20's are for. And they are absolutely right. I can't wait to get my feet out the door and flight tickets in my hands for this summer. Am hoping for a trip to Munich for enjoyment, and Haiti for help and documentation.

One disappointment this week was that I learned that many of the producers on the Job Hunt show are freelance, which means that they will not longer be with us after the Job Hunt. It is from many of these people that I have already learned a lot about the industry, gained a new nickname "Cheerios," and seen how television is run. I hope that I will get work with them on future projects.

But in good news--my co-workers have all taken a liking to my Jeans Video---and I now go by ceLibs and Libs at work, which makes me that much more comfortable.

Last thing worth noting is that I have found a home here. It reminds me a lot of Rome...I don't mind my time that I have by myself, and the days seem to go fast--I think that is how college should have always been for me. Whether it's Chicago or NYC where I end up in the next 6 months, I know a big city is all I want--and all I need.

1 comment: